Interviewed by The Sarawak Energy Newsroom

Interviewed by The Sarawak Energy Newsroom - 15 August 2014
A few months ago, I was approached via email for an interview about my opinions of the importance of education to rural folk in Sarawak. The question pushed enough of my hot-buttons that I answered immediately & elaborately. I wanted to raise awareness about the education challenges & social issues in the part of rural Sarawak I serve in as well as call people to action.

I guess my answer was so comprehensive that the news agency used it to publish an article on their site under my name. They also used a lot of pictures of me in it. Especially one big picture of me at the top of the article even before anyone read the text.

I didn't like what I saw. I decided not to share the article & I emailed the journalist about my desires & intentions for answering her queries & how the article is might become a disservice to everything that I am trying to achieve in the jungle.

I am no politician. I don't need journalists to over-blow my persona. This is not something I want at all. I want the focus to be on THE ISSUE. NOT on me. I'm hungry for change. I'm not hungry for attention. I became very concerned when people started sharing the article on social media & tagged me in it. I hope that I do not become a Malala. I don't want people to support me in spirit/on social media & then do nothing at all about the issue. I want more people to innovate & come up with their own unique solutions to age old problems in their own world. I want to decrease so that others may increase. Together, in our own little ways, we can do a lot more.

Fortunately, the journalist I contacted took down the article, apologised profusely & rewrote the article. This new one is way better. Although my name is mentioned multiple times & most of the words used were mine, my picture does not appear in it & another teacher is also quoted in the article.

Check out the article here:

Do read the article & comment on it.
If you would like to clink brains with me & flew your muscles to help, send me an email or contact me on my FB page.

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding The New SPM (2021) English 1119 Paper Format

What To Do When Your Unifi Service Suddenly Drops

The Millennial Trains Project: A Transcontinental Conference On Tracks

My CPT Results

Rukun Negara dalam Inggeris, Melayu, Cina, & Tamil